HICKSONs in Cambridgeshire
Heads of families with some connection to Cambridge
or, if you prefer, heads of families by place in Cambridgeshire
- John Hixon found in Cambridge
in 1450 - Dictionary of British Surnames
by P H Reaney, p.164
- Richard Hixon (1425-1490). His family originated in the village of
Hixon in Staffordshire, but he moved to Cambridgeshire where the family
continued to live until about 1500
- Helen Hickson, in her Will of 1623, left a legacy to the poor scholars
at Cambridge. She was a fishmonger.
- The Rev Christopher Hickson was born in Cambridgeshire and moved to
Ireland in 1553. Was he related to Richard Hixon, above? (Another source
says he came from Cambridge University in 1593 with an M.A.. Was he born
You've found someone who interests you and don't know how to get more information?
Send me a message telling me as much as you know about this family and I will try
to help you by telling you all I know
For more information contact: Anthony Hickson
- Elizabeth Hixon married John Archer 1616 in Cambridge
- Thomas S Hixon was keeper of the King's wardrobe. He was awarded a
coat of Arms which is the same coat of Arms which was later awarded to descendants
of the Rev Christopher Hickson, above.
- Mary Hickson married Richard Smyth 1639 in Linton,
- Will Hichson married Elizabeth Drifer 1646 in
- William Hickeson (ca.1689-) of Conington,
married Sarah Scot 1714 in Conington, Cambridge
- Mary Hixon (ca.1690-) of Wisbech,
married Edward Randall 1711 in Wisbech
and/or March, Cambridge
- Robert & Eliz Hixson were living in Isleham,
Cambridge in 1744
- Ann Hickson died June quarter 1838 in Cambridge
- Charles Hickson married Hannah Clark 1786 in Newton
- Mrs Sarah Hickson was born in Wisbech
and had a daughter Harriet there in 1826
- Mary A Hickson was born 1808 in Wisbech
and was recorded as a spinster in 1881
- Thomas Hickson was born 1808 in Cambridgeshire. He was a baker and
in 1881 is recorded as a widower.
- Thomas Hickson was born 1811 in Wisbech.
In 1861 he is recorded as married and Captain on the Ship "Economy"
- James Benjamin Hickson (1823-1855)
- There was a passenger called J B Hickson to Port Phillip on the ship
"Santipore" which departed London on 26 June 1850
- His diary records "We embarked on board the ROYAL STUART at Southampton
on 11 July 1853"
- Death certificate shows "Baker, born Cambudgn,
21 mths in Victoria.
Age 32, died 2 July 1855. Married to Fanny, son William aged 10". Was Cambridge
meant for Cambudgn?
- 1851 census shows
- James Hickson, head, Mar, 27, Baker,
- Fanny Hickson, wife, Mar, 28?,
born Oxford Henley
- William Hickson, son, 5, born Middlesex, St Geo
- George William Hickson, born 1840 in Blisworth,
lived in Fordham, Cambridgeshire
- Joseph Hickson was born 1846 in Wisbech
- Mrs Elizabeth Higson was born 1856 in Cambridge.
She married Peter Higson of Atherton
- Sydney John Hickson (1859-1940) Hon Fellow of Downing College,