The first member of the Hickson family to settle in County Kerry was the Reverend Christopher Hickson who was the Protestant rector of Kilgobban and Stradbally in the diosese of Ardfert in the early years of the 17th century.
His son, Christopher, adopted the Roman Catholic faith and is mentioned in depositions relating to the insurrection of 1641, preserved in Trinity College, Dublin, as "Christopher Hickson, Gentleman of Knockglass, a rebel and papist", and his certificate of transportation to Connaught (thanks to Cromwell) with seventeen of his family and household in 1650, is preserved in the Dublin record Office. He returned to Kerry at the Restoration in 1660.
Kilgobban (sometimes mispelt(?) as Kilgobbin), otherwise known as Camp, is on the main road from Tralee and Blennerville
Knockglassmore House is about 1.6 km from Camp.