The Hughs Cemetery
Bledsoe County, Tennessee
Barry and Glenda Schroeder
May 4, 2003
Hughs (Spelling used at the cemetery) Cemetery is located on private property, Bledsoe County, Tennessee between Dunlap,
Sequatchie County, Tennessee and Pikeville, Bledsoe County, Tennessee.
Hughs Cemetery is about an acre in size with a fence that is around the perimiter.
We have done our best to record the names and dates of the individuals
that are buried in this cemetery as they appeared on their markers but mistakes
can be made.
If there needs to
be a correction or an addition of someone we might have left out, please e-mail
us, and we will be happy to make the addition or
corrections. Thank you.
h/o = husband of :
w/o = wife of :
s/o = son of :
d/o = daughter of :
dm/w = double marker with
- BEAVERT, Infant (No dates) s/o T. A. & FRANCES BEAVERT
- GRAHAM, OLLIE b. Aug. 19, 1889 d. Feb. 21, 1898 d/o W. W. & PENELOPE GRAHAM
- GRAHAM, PENELOPE H. b. July 16, 1869 d. Feb. 16, 1940 w/o W. W. GRAHAM
- GRAHAM, W. W. b. Dec. 24, 1866 d. Jan. 30, 1917 h/o PENELOPE H. GRAHAM
- HIXSON, Infant Jan. 19, 1916 (only date) s/o N. J. & LIZZIE HIXSON
- HIXSON, LIZZIE H. b. April 28, 1879 d. Oct. 4, 1946 w/o NEWTON J. HIXSON
- HIXSON, NEWTON J. b. Nov. 8, 1878 d. April 12, 1940 h/o LIZZIE H. HIXSON
- HUGHS, AARON b. Aug. 16, 1831 d. Sept. 2, 1899 h/o PENELOPE HUGHS
- HUGHS, AARON d. Dec. 3, 1867, aged 74 years, h/o MARY HUGHS
- HUGHS, BERTHA b. Feb. 20, 1891 d. Dec. 15, 1898 d/o J. A. & Z. HUGHS
- HUGHS, LULA 1879 - 1951 w/o REUBEN R. HUGHS
- HUGHS, MARY d. Feb. 3, 1865, aged ?? (no longer legible), w/o AARON HUGHS
- HUGHS, PENELOPE b. Nov. 25, 1838 d. Feb. 28, 1922 w/o AARON HUGHS
- HUGHS, POPE b. November 13, 1881 d. June 3, 1907
- HUGHS, REUBEN R. 1876 - 1937 h/o LULA S. HUGHS
- HUGHS, WAYNE R. b. June 23, 1906 d. February 3, 1943
- SPROUSE, OCTA G. 1901 - 1988 dm/w OLLIE G. SPROUSE
- SPROUSE, OLLIE G. 1901 - 1953 dm/w OCTA G. SPROUSE
These individuals listed below who have been added came from the WPA list
but there are no markers in Hughs Cemetery marking their graves as of May 2003.
I can not prove or disprove who is buried in the Hughes Cemetery if there were no markers for their graves,
this is why they are listed on the cemetery list at the bottom.
Please obtain your own documentation.
- HIXSON, ELIZA HENNINGER b. July 9, 1817 d. Oct. 16, 1888 w/o JOSEPH HUGHS HIXSON
- HIXSON, EMMETT b. Sept. 11, 1859 d. Dec. 25, 1859 s/o JOSEPH H. & ELIZA H. HIXSON
- HIXSON, INGABO HUGHS b. Sept. 8, 1789 d. June 6, 1859 w/o WILLIAM HIXSON
- HIXSON, JOSEPH HUGHS b. November 2, 1801 d. October 14, 1875
h/o PHEOBE GRAHAM & ELIZA HENNINGER
- HIXSON, PHEOBE GRAHAM d. July 28, 1847 w/o JOSEPH HUGHS HIXSON
- HIXSON, WILLIAM (no dates) h/o INGABO HUGHS HIXSON
George Sprouse, Jr, writes that these Hixson are not buried in Hughes Cemetery in Bledsoe Co.
There are 4 unmarked graves, 2 are children of his great uncle Neal Hughes, 1 child of his great uncle Jesse Hughes and the
1 that is the farthest north is said to be a Holland who was in transit.
All died in the 1800's and the markers may have been gone for years.
The Hughes Cemetery is about an acre in size but the only marked graves are up in a corner,
there are at least traces of 38 (we counted) unmarked graves in this cemetery.